The Second Reformed Church of Hackensack
Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Church History

The Story of our Church

 
On October 31, 1855 The Second Reformed Church was organized, and the first service was held on November 11th in the “Church on the Green”. Shortly thereafter, in 1856, our first church building was erected on land at State and Berry Streets donated by Mrs. Maria Berry and her children. This building burned to the ground on Easter Sunday night in 1907, and for two years the congregation held services in the old Methodist Church, also on State Street.
 
The cornerstone of our present church, located on Union Street between Anderson and Ward Streets, was laid on June 21, 1908. It is constructed of fieldstone taken from the stone walls of nearby farms. The education and administration wing built in 1964-65 is also constructed of fieldstone. The Tiffany stained glass windows in the sanctuary have been much admired by all who have seen them. The large angel window, The Angels of Praise, was exhibited at the 1893 International Exhibition in Chicago. In 1978 a new 38 rank Austin pipe organ was installed and dedicated, supporting the tradition of fine music that our church has enjoyed over the years.
 
 In 2005 we celebrated the 150th anniversary of our church. We look back on a memorable past of service to God in our community with grateful hearts for His many blessings. We look forward to continuing our tradition of care to our community by working hard to say with action, “Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”
 For another summary of our church history and a high resolution photo of one of our most beautiful stained glass windows, click here. For more on our 150th Anniversary Celebration, click here.
 

Historic Photos of our Church

For a look at some historic pictures of our original church, the fire that destroyed it and the building of our present church building, click here.
 

Our Mission Statement

We, the people of Jesus Christ, coming together at the Second Reformed Church, strive to grow spiritually and demonstrate God’s loving care by the actions of our lives. Strengthened and nurtured by worship, study, and fellowship, we believe we are called by God to work with compassion and understanding towards a better quality of life for all. It is our purpose to include all who wish to join us in this quest.
 
 
Pastors Serving the Second Reformed Church
James Demarest
1856-1863
George H. Fisher
1856-1871
Cyrus B. Durand
1871-1883
Arthur Johnson
1884-1923
John Charles Rauscher
1923-1945
Harvey B. Hoffman
1945-1961
Daniel Y. Brink
1962-1969
Robert A. Phillips
1962-1964 (associate)
Edwin G. Mulder
1970-1979
David H. Manting
1976-1979 (associate)
Jack K. White
1980-1988
Jon N. Norton
1989-1995
Dennis B. Wilcox
1995-2012
Dale Buettner
2014-2015